Monday, December 24, 2012

Baby in a Manger

All these years I have sung the little songs about Jesus in a manger. I've minimized it. Jesus, who is GOD, left Heaven to come to Earth to live among the human race so He could save them. 

He left golden streets, gates of jewels. He left the place where those there KNEW He is the King, worshiped Him continually, honored Him above all names. And He came here...where He would be poor and be laid in a manger, a feeding trough for animals. He would be despised, rejected by the men He sought to save. He would be beaten, humiliated, deserted by His best friends, tortured, murdered...

He gave up all the riches of Heaven to sleep in a feeding trough. Then He gave up even that and as an adult had "no place to lay His head." 

I know NOTHING of that kind of sacrifice, NOTHING. I barely understand that kind of love that He gave to me, how much less I understand how to give it to others.

"I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead." Philippians 3:10-11

How I want to want that!! How I long for God to stamp out every selfish desire in me and replace it for a desire for Him!

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field." Matthew 13:44

Oh how I want to want that treasure...that I would give up my own treasure. I have a ways to go, God change my heart!!! 

"Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ..." Philippians 3:8

How I want that heart! How I don't have it yet. How I've missed and craved the things I have left behind in the United States. How I have longed for MY own city and not the city of God.  Give me a heart that would give it all away to chase after the GREATER TREASURE! Give me a heart that would not only give it all away, but cast it away like it is dung. Change my complaining to rejoicing!

God, give me a heart to follow the example of Jesus who gave up Heaven to lay in a feeding trough...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!