Friday, December 6, 2013

Steadfast


Each year a choose a word for the year that comes from a Bible verse that I am feeling prompted to meditate upon and "work out" in my life. For 2013, I chose "Steadfast"(http://peacefulgatherings.blogspot.com/2013/01/word-for-2013.html ) 
from 1 Corinthians 15:58:
"Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

Honestly, each year I have done this I am just amazed at what I learned over the year in that area and all the situations God brought to teach me! 

I want to find a way to fully share what I have learned in 2013 (and am still learning!).

Whenever you bring a child into the family, whether it be biologically or through adoption, the entire dynamic of your family changes. And we brought four children home and older children at that. We changed the dynamic of our previous family and the dynamic of their previous family. (It's easy to forget that they also had a family dynamic that was interrupted). 

When you followed God into hard places, there are times that it is not only hard for you but even harder for those in your family. There are times when despair threatens one or more in our family. These are tough times of trying to comfort one without taking our eyes off our own calling. Admitting, yes this is hard but we're staying right here!  There are times when we ourselves are discouraged and are fighting for all we are worth to keep our own eyes on Jesus and His calling to us. 

Steadfast. Holding on to Jesus. Refusing to let go. Staying on the path He paves. Him ahead, me behind. Not looking at that which discourages and causes despair but one what is True, on Who is Truth. Trying to help others cast their gaze on Him too, the only real source of joy and encouragement.

There are times I want to run ahead. What might be ahead seems like it must be easier than what I am presently doing. What's next seems so much more exciting than the mundane day to day tasks and steps that add up to the conquering of THIS MOUNTAIN. Or, in the opposite direction, the adrenaline of coming home to the states and setting up house creates an energy that is ready to take on those other mountains before we've reached the top of THIS one. 

Steadfast. Step by step, keeping our eyes on the prize and on what must be accomplished, determined not be stop until we're told it's time. 

Then there are just those times when another's calling seems so attractive and so much better than mine. And there is a temptation to follow people, and not my Savior.  

Steadfast. Immovable. Always abounding in the work of the Lord. It's not in vain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!