Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Nothing But the Best? Choosing Curriculum and Making Decisions

Curriculum choices...they can be hard can't they? It's one of those areas in life where "everyone loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life!" There's no end to opinions on which are the best or the *gold standard*. I've let myself get caught up in that fray way too many times, both as the giver of opinions and as the receiver. But you know what? The longer I homeschool the less I want to give an opinion as far as which curriculum someone ought to use or to avoid. However here is what I do want to share: the curriculum you can teach from and your children can learn from is the best curriculum. It's that simple and that complicated.


I was using a very well known Math curriculum. Maybe not THE standard but definitely one in the top 2 or 3. We started with it and planned to keep it until graduation. However, when we got to the High School levels, everything came to a screeching halt! I felt stupid. I couldn't teach Algebra or Geometry with it. My student was frustrated. We tried to keep bashing our head against a brick wall stay with it but things were only getting worse. I had to make a change. 


I prayed and researched and found a curriculum that I thought would work for us. And I ordered it. According to some, this curriculum had the reputation of not being as advanced as the "gold standard Math curricula." I was so desperate I just didn't care. I decided learning "some Math" would beat learning no Math. I am so glad I did!! Wow!! I understand Algebra AND Geometry! Happy Day!  So, wonder of wonders, I can TEACH it! 


We know our kids best. We pray, we research, we choose. It may not make the most sense to everyone else. But the point is not to use "the best" but "the best for us."


This principle works for many of the gray areas of life!! God can guide us down the path marked out for us as we seek him. He's always been good as showing the blind the way!


"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These things I will do; I will not forsake them." Isaiah 42:16



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!