Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Twists and Turns

"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'" Isaiah 30:21


Life can sure have it's twists and turns, can't it? How many times has "life" interrupted a perfect plan? I am not great at planning, so when I do have a really good plan, it can be plenty frustrating if my attitude is not right to accept the new plan when I am thwarted.


"Hold loosely to the things of this life, so that if God requires them of you, it will be easy to let them go."  ~Corrie Ten Boom


Many times I am convinced my plan must be a "God thing". So I hold it tightly. I am angry and confused when it is torn from me. It takes time for light to dawn that "God is great so I don't have to be in control." God has to convict me that this "new thing" is of Him.


This week in church, my pastor provided a time for silent prayer or coming forward to the altar for prayer especially for moms. I prayed silently that God would bring to me a place where whatever He asked me to do, I would break into a run in that direction. I asked Him to do the same for my family, that we would all understand and do His will for us.

I was amazed when a man came forward for prayer for the same! The only difference is that he didn't know what was holding Him back. I know exactly what holds me back me... Sometimes it's my fear, sometimes I just really don't want to do that thing He asks. It's hard, it doesn't fit into my "life of leisure" plan as in it interrupts "self." 

Once "self" takes root, then I can find myself advisors who will agree with me and my assessment of what I ought to do or not do and what I ought to hold onto tightly. I can communicate it in such a way that it seems crystal clear that I am in the right (my parents used to tell me I should be a lawyer with all my fine sounding arguments) so that they will agree. (I wonder how many times I am that kind of advisor for my friends? That's a whole 'nother post!) 

What do you suppose the sermon was on? It was on being devoted to prayer and having genuine dependence on God. I find that this answer is pretty much always the answer whatever the question!!

So...the challenge is to immerse myself in God's Word and to devote myself to prayer with a plan to TRUST and OBEY. At that point it is a matter of laying down fear, selfish dreams, the desire to be liked or find approval from man. It is laying down what is "good" for what is "best." Being immersed in God's plan through His Word helps me to know and recognize that which is "best" as it often barely looks "good" to my flawed mind and heart. 

"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them
and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; 
 I will not forsake them." Isaiah 42:16


2 comments:

  1. Dear Karen,

    This is such a wonderful post...something I think we all as women are often so guilty of. Since we are responsible for the caring of the home...we tend to become very controlling in this area...and it is difficult for us to give up the control we need to in order to follow the Lord's will for our lives. From what you've said...I definitely think you are on the right track! Trust, obey, and pray... that's what it is all about. I'll be praying for you...

    God bless,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!