Wednesday, March 27, 2013

She's Really Smiley

"She's really smiley," said the sweet receptionist at my dentist's office (and this woman really IS sweet; I am totally NOT being sarcastic here!). "Thank-you," I said and smiled myself looking at my little girl who was just so happy to go with me and her brother for his dentist appointment. She had a blast with their toys and looking at the fish in the fish tank. When we left, she asked if she could please go there again sometime soon! 

I would never asked my adopted children to "be the example" of the "adopted child." I kind of think they have enough on their plate already. Sinners saved by grace is what we ALL are! (I never expected my homeschooled biological children to be the shining "example of homeschooling" when we were out and about or on field trips either, but that's another post!). 

What I DO recognize is that my kids put a human face (4 human faces, quite cute faces if you ask me!) on adoption as well as a face on "older child adoption" and maybe even "international adoption".  They make it real, they make it "possible" (If THEY can do it, maybe I can too!). And that's good, very good. 

My dentist receptionist almost seemed surprised at the beaming 7 year old. Maybe she never considered they could have a happy demeanor after going through so much. Maybe she didn't know before that these kids could have a happy, fulfilled life. I really don't know...

But I think this is why sometimes you see adoption hit in waves that feel like a fad to some. Maybe it's because when others say "yes" we see someone living that dream that was tucked away in our own hearts. Maybe their journey shows us it's possible. Maybe their kids put a real face on what our dream would look like when it comes true. 

And it's good...very good...


Father to the fatherless, defender of widows-
this is God, whose dwelling is holy.
God places the lonely in families;
he sets the prisoners free and gives them joy.
But he makes the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land. 

~Psalm 68:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!