Thursday, December 6, 2012

To Anoint the Rock I Sleep On


Adoption Update: We may have had our consejo yesterday to get our adoption rolling through the legal system again. We won't know until tomorrow afternoon IF the holiday here doesn't interrupt the delivery of our paperwork to our lawyer. IF the paperwork is delivered then our lawyer will deliver all our paperwork to the judge. Then we wait for the Attorney General here to approve our adoption. Once it is approved then we get our final court date. We are hoping and praying this SPEEDS along so that our adoption can be finalized before the gov't shutdown for Christmas which happens from December 18th through January 3rd. Either way, we expect to be here until some time in January. This means my husband will be here for a minimum of 6 months and the rest of us 5 months to complete our 3 month adoption process. All of us are praying and holding our breath for the next delay, honestly. If it could happen, it has.

Today I found great encouragement in an event in the life of Jacob. He was fleeing from his brother Esau.  When he stopped for the night he had to use a rock for a pillow. I can imagine that felt pretty miserable. He had not lived a life of poverty. He had the blessing of his father, the inheritance promised by God and here he lay with a stone for a pillow. 


In the night he has a dream where God reaffirms his promises to Jacob. My favorite part, "and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you." (Gen. 28:15)


Jacob's response is beautiful! "When Jacob awoke from his sleep he thought, 'Surely the Lord is in this place, and I was not aware of it.'" (Gen. 28:16)


Jacob ends up setting the rock he used as a pillow and pouring oil on it. I love that!!! That hard, horrible rock that I am sure would have caused a massive headache, now symbolized the presence and promises of the Lord! 


I want to and pray to look back on this time in Nicaragua behind the cement wall with no car and the money running out and the struggles to figure out what to eat, etc., etc., as a time when I felt the satisfying presence of the Lord as I watched him fulfill his promises! I want to take this time and set it up as a memorial stone and anoint it with oil. Like Jacob, I was to mark this time before the journey continues. 


"Then Jacob made a vow saying, 'If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I return safely to my father's house, then the Lord will be my God and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God's house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth.'" Gen. 28:20-22



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!