Saturday, December 1, 2012

Just One More Day

There's a lesson here in Nicaragua that I have been learning (There's many lessons, this one is at least in the top two. I am going to try to write as much as I can now before the light at the end of the tunnel is realized and the hard places fade. I want to remember the lessons learned here.). This lesson has slowly taken shape and increased in clarity. It is this:

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." ~Matthew 6:34

All 8 of us thought we'd be home in Maine by now...or that by now we'd know when we would be home... It's easy to let that consume your heart and mind. And that is misery. So here is the only way I can live and approach the day with a smile...

I think to myself, "Can I live here today and be okay? Can I do this just one more day?" And the answer is always, "Yes." Because if I thought I was headed home tomorrow, today would be a breeze! Hey, I can do this one more day! 

So every day is "one more day." That's all. I absolutely CAN NOT look ahead. And I honestly try not to look behind unless it is to marvel at how far we've come and the progress we've made! 

Bad news isn't my only enemy. Good news can be the enemy too. Good news dares me to trust it. It promises a Thanksgiving homecoming and then a Christmas homecoming and then the lure of an end in sight. Good news can be deceitful. So I try to give my good news to God to hold while I just give it a passing glance and live my "one more day." 

I'm looking at today. In my "one more day" I can ignore living behind "the wall". One more day with no transportation. One more day figuring out what we'll eat...on it goes...

God has us here one more day to build our family, to grow in love, to endure hardship together, to make us stronger, to bring Him glory. He has His purposes and I trust Him.

Today, maybe we'll swing in the hammock, paint the girls' nails, decorate the Christmas tree, listen to music, watch some soccer...someone will take a turn walking to the market with Papa, someone else will help prepare supper, oh and the girls' bedroom could use a good scrubbing...

Just one more day...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!