Friday, October 5, 2012

Eyes Open


"Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy." E-ekiel 16:49 (Pardon my computer keyboard which will not type the last letter of the alphabet!)

The need around me is great here in Nicaragua. Poverty is rampant. It is not because the people are not trying. It is because they are among the disadvantaged of the world, those who could work themselves to death and still not earn a wage large enough to support their families. 

Here's a little secret...it is as easy to overlook the poor and needy and Nicaragua as it is in the United States! You can fly right by them in a vehicle, walk right by them in the market. They need help and the hope only found in Jesus. 

It's easy to argue back at my own heart and recount what I have done. But I know that's not the point. The point is to do what I can do, what God is calling me to do, what He will enable me to do.

Today...today I am called to help two families become one, to be God's vessel of healing to little hearts, to take them to their doctors appointment. But I pray for my eyes to be open as we move through our day in case there is something more I can do...for the one on the street that I want to rush by...

Tomorrow...tomorrow there may be more. I am praying to be open and ready. 

There's so much to be done, so much help that is needed. Once your eyes are opened you cannot close them again. For the first time I am fully aware of the limitations of having only one life to offer. It makes me sad...

But I pray I never blog about it, tweet about it or facebook about it unless I am doing something about it...

God save me from being arrogant, overfed, and unconcerned... God save me from eyes that close...

"He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses." Proverbs 28:27

1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!