Saturday, May 12, 2012

That's Why I Was Made This Way!

I am finishing up this book, "The Dream Giver" by Bruce Wilkinson. Oh, it has hit me right where I am at! I found out about it from one of my favorite blogs: Gwen Oatsvall from Oatsvall Team . I've read just about every one of her book recommendations and have loved them all!


The book talks about your God-given passions and how our passions meet the dreams that God wants to fulfill in us. As I was reading, a picture of the little girl I used to be came sharply into focus...


I hated, hated, hated to see anyone left out of something or treated unfairly, so much so that if I kissed or hugged one of my stuffed animals I kissed or hugged them all! And I had a LOT of stuffed animals. ;) Makes me laugh at my younger self to think of it! If I was dividing a snack between a friend and I, I would count every piece to make sure it was even, potato chips included (the fact that they were different sizes always messed with my head!). 


Whenever I would think back on that, I chalked it up to the possibility of me maybe being a quirky, crazy kid! If I wanted to assure someone of how weird I am I would bring that up!


Now to the present: I have dreamed of Adoption for years! I have prayed for it and begged God for it, especially over the last year but off and on for the past 10 years. As that dream now snaps into focus, a deeper dream is forming...


I don't want to JUST adopt children (although that will be a HUGE DREAM come true and I can't wait to love on MORE CHILDREN). I want to do what I can to help ALL children with no parents. And I want to do all I can to help good parents KEEP their children and prevent them from becoming orphaned due to economic needs or preventable diseases! I don't want any child left out!


The little quirky kid who wanted to do for all what she did for one is back with a vengeance. It DRIVES me. I am pretty sure I am hearing the Divine whisper, "This is why I made you this way!" 


I cried and mourned with my husband when he came home from his recent missions trip. We both realized that not only could we not choose JUST A FEW kids to bring home, but that we shouldn't choose... We have left that in God's hands because what else can we do? We are following His leading (or trying to and trusting His power to direct us, His sheep) on who to bring home. But I think God is showing me that I can help bring many, many kids home. We can't adopt the many, many kids my husband came home burdened for. We can't adopt the 147 million - 16something million orphans (depending on whose numbers you accept). But we can spend ourselves on their behalf. We can bring awareness, we can help fund raise, we can help others adopt, we can visit them and love on them, and we can do whatever God brings our way and meet the need in front of us! 


I have cried and cried over the fact that choosing SOME to bring home means not choosing many more who need to come home. It is too big for me. But it is not too big for God. I am just one in His army of people. If we all do our part, we can end the orphan crisis and show future generations how to end the orphan crisis for their generation.


"A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in His holy dwelling." Psalm 68:5 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!