Saturday, January 7, 2012

A Decluttered Life...

I love this photo my daughter Rachel took. If you've been reading here long you've seen it before and you'll see it again. I should probably get it framed and put it somewhere I can see it daily. It reminds me that my time on this Earth is brief. 


I can easily get carried away in different directions. Last night I felt God whisper to me, "Don't forget why you're decluttering." Working around the house I start to plan how we could re-do each room, I dream of how beautiful it could be. I get carried away.


Not that it's wrong to have a beautiful house. Don't get me wrong. If God provides that I'll be thrilled. But it's not part of my calling. 


The house needs to be decluttered because "stuff" weighs me down. "Stuff" has to be organized and kept clean. It gets in the way. It takes my time. 


I was reminded last night that I want a home that is open to people who stop by, people who need a friend. I don't want to spend lots of time cleaning. If my possessions are sparse it's obviously easier to keep the house uncluttered. It's faster to clean. 


Time is short. It's time to make sure I am living the life I am called to now. 


Jesus gave the call to the church and therefore to me:


"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:19-20


"He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned." Mark 16:15-16

There's a Kingdom to build and sometimes I forget it's not MY kingdom that needs to be built but GOD'S. And so I declutter and take back my house so it can be utilized for God's Kingdom. 

Last night I realized I haven't even scratched the surface on what it means to give and love in the way that God has called me. And so I repent and live "from here on out". Forgetting what is behind and pressing, pressing on to what is ahead, asking God to give back the years the locusts have eaten. I pray I will spend myself and my resources on that which is eternal and give up that which is temporal.

"Why spend money on what is not bread,
and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.
Give ear and come to me;
hear me, that your soul may live.
I will make an everlasting covenant with you,
my faithful love promised to David.
See, I have made him a witness to the peoples,
a leader and commander of the peoples.
Surely you will summon nations you know not,
and nations that do not know you will hasten to you,
because of the Lord your God,
the Holy One of Israel,
for he has endowed you with splendor.”
Seek the Lord while he may be found;
call on him while he is near.
Let the wicked forsake his way
and the evil man his thoughts.
Let him turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy on him,
and to our God, for he will freely pardon."
~Isaiah 55:2-7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!