Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Be QUIET!!


I've had the same headache for three days and I don't have any idea of the physical cause. But it's turned into a blessing. Why because it has reminded me of the blessing of *Quiet*. 


I love a party, I love laughter and music and joyful celebration. But there comes a time where quiet if needful. Quiet gives me time to rest, pray, reflect, read, think, and listen! God has important things to tell me and I have to be quiet to hear him. 


I've gotten again in the habit of waking up and turning on the news. Not a bad thing, right? But it's bad for me. I have to give up *quiet* for it. 


This morning my head hurt when I woke up (again). So I decided to skip the news. I headed for my latest book and my Bible and relished the quiet.


"The LORD said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by.”Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.
   Then a voice said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”

~1 Kings 19:11-15

I want to hear from God. I need to hear from God. Perhaps this headache is my reminder that if I am not quiet I can't hear anything, certainly not a still small voice. A week or so ago a friend reminded me that it is often still and small and quiet. I didn't take the hint. 

"This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: "In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it. " 
~Isaiah 30:15

But I am quiet now and ready to hear. I am begging for mercy as I repent, for grace to obey, for strength to take action. I am quiet. Lord help me to stay quiet...and to listen...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!