Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Quiet, Snowy Day


The snowy days of January are days of teaching my homeschoolers, reading, doing some writing, and lots of thinking. By late afternoon my brain is mush! Today is no exception.
As I have said I am reading "Praying God's Word." Today I went over chapter one, "Overcoming Idolatry" with a fine tooth comb. There are many verses on that topic to pray through. To make it manageable I marked the ones that really struck me and then went back and categorized them. (Seriously, when would I have time for this but in the deep winter?) I thought I would list them here for my own purposes and convenience and hopefully to encourage another. These verses I will turn into prayer.
Here goes:
Acknowledging God for Who He is and that he is first in my life:
"Now choose life so that you and your children may live and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life..." Deut. 30:19b-20a
"You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them: for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God..." Exodus 20:4-5a
"Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you." Psalm 73:25
That God can, that he is All-Powerful, that I pray to the God who is Able:
"Ah Sovereign Lord, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too difficult for you." Jeremiah 32:17
"God is not a man that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?" Numbers 23:19
God can/is guiding my life and can/will guide us as a family:
"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." Psalm 139:9-10
"He who forms the mountains, creates the wind, and reveals his thoughts to man..." Amos 4:13a
"From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live." Acts 17:26
He is my satifaction and where I find healing:
"How priceless is your love! Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of your wings. They feast on the abundance of your house; you give them drink from your river of delights. For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light." Psalm 36:7-9
"But for you who revere my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in his wings. And you will go out and leap like calves released from the stall." Malachi 4:2
The next chapter is on "Overcoming Unbelief". Good stuff!! I look forward to praying Truth! I just have a feeling this is going to be amazing and open up a whole new door of change in my life and heart!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!