Saturday, January 8, 2011

My Word for 2011

ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more
I saw this idea first on Brenda's "Coffee Tea Books and Me" blog
( http://coffeeteabooksandme.blogspot.com/2011/01/word-for-year.html ). It just really resonated with me. So I began to think about what my word for the year should be. I struggled between two words: "Trust" and "Sovereignty". "Sovereignty" because I am asking God that my husband and I would clearly hear from Him this year on His direction for us as a family and as a couple. I need confirmation that we are doing His will and not missing anything He might be wanting us to do. "Trust" because our first born son is turning 18 this year, graduating from our homeschool, and headed to college. At this point it looks like he will not live under our roof. I will be trusting God for him on a whole new level!

In considering both, I realized they are really interconnected. I am again learning the lesson to "trust" God's "sovereign" control in our lives. I have faced this lesson again and again in different areas of my life over the years at varying levels and I am here again. What made my final decision on my word for 2011? It was when Proverbs 3:5-6 came to mind yesterday: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your path."
I learned that verse as a child. When my parents bought me a Study Bible to use in Bible College my dad wrote that verse on the first page. Having it in his handwriting was and is very special to me. When I was young there was so much I thought I understood. But I had only barely scratched the surface. Life was so simple and innocent.

These little kids just take me back to that...
This is why the Bible is "living and active" (Hebrews 4:12). You can read the same verse over the years and it will keep digging deeper and deeper into your soul!
When I was pregnant with my first child, a wise woman said to me, "Put this child in God's hands now and your life will be much easier!" I thought I did...
But now I stand at a new crossroad...asking God to remind me that He is not only MY shepherd but MY SON'S shepherd. I'm asking Him to remind me that my son has "a future and a hope" that He will "never leave my son or forsake my son." I am putting this child again into His capable hands...only to realize he was already there...
"Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! See I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; you walls are ever before me." Isaiah 49:15-16
"Trust and obey, for there's no other way, to be happy in Jesus, than to trust and obey."
TRUST.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!