Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Hangin' on for All I'm Worth!

My husband, Robin, and I were talking this week about the differences between the life we lived last year in Nicaragua and our life here in the States. There, in Nica, our life was slooow. Our friends and family in the States would hesitate to call us thinking we were crazy busy with 6 of our 7 at home and all the adjusting of adopting our 4, but I think they all were busier than we were! ;) 

We were home 99% of the time in Nicaragua. We had very few friends. It was so much easier to stay connected to God and each other. It was easier to see our priorities for the day and to know exactly why we were there and what we were suppose to be doing. Added, there were very little distraction to those goals. 

Of course, when our feet hit the ground in the States we were so happy to be back home and to be reconnected to all those people we missed who mean so much to us. We're still very happy about it (and appreciate our life so much more)! But, at the same time, life is a constant whirlwind! Life really does "come at you fast!" 

I've had this image of my life this week of trying to hang on to a support beam while a hurricane gale threatens to blow me away! I have a "to-do" list a mile long. Somewhere on that list are the things I want to get done because they are my "priority!" 

Sometimes I can get so busy with the distractions that invade my day and my "to-do" list that I never do get to those things that mean the most to me, that are at the core of my reason to be on the planet! 

"Therefore, my brothers and sisters,make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." 2 Peter 1:10-11

I'm reminded of a phrase I read once that said: "If you don't plan your life, someone else will!"

That support beam that I am hanging onto is Jesus Christ and His Word and all He has called me to! I am trying like crazy to hang on, keep what is most important at the top of the "to-do" list and as the priority in my week before the "extra's" creep in, and to be willing to say a loving "no" to the rest! Saying "no" is really hard for me, mostly because everything that creeps in sounds great and I WANT to do those things! 

Those priorities?
~Time with God in His Word and in prayer.
~Time serving and pouring into my family.
~Time serving and loving others and sharing the hope I have found in Jesus.
~Time building God's Kingdom over mine.

So important...so easy to be missed day after day...  I have to hold on to that beam for all I am worth and stay centered and committed...and remind myself day by day.

"So I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have." 2 Peter 1:12

“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.  The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.” Matthew 7:24-27

Not crashing...always a good plan!!! 

1 comment:

  1. An excellent insight! I think I might have rather stayed in Nicaragua...but then, I probably would have created my own personal "rat race" there, too. Don't let go! (of Jesus)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!