Wednesday, April 24, 2013

An Exciting Day Coming!

I am completely excited about tomorrow!! Why, you ask? ;) I'm going to the "Safe Families for Children Faith Forum"!! And, even better, it's right at MY CHURCH!!! 

My dear friend, Tina Williams works for Safe Families of Maine and she helped organize the forum. My Church is a "Safe Families" Church and we'll get to be connected and hear when needs arise in our own community that we might be able to help with. :) 

Maybe you have no idea what I am talking about...I never heard of "Safe Families" until a couple of months ago. "Safe Families" mobilizes Christians and churches to help families in crisis. At it's root, they help keep families together and prevent children from potentially ending up in foster care. 

Here is their own description from the Facebook Event site for tomorrow's event:

"When a crisis strikes, many of us rely on relatives or friends for support, but some families have no safety net. Safe Families for Children mobilizes and equips church communities to provide support to families in crisis. Parents can voluntarily arrange for their child(ren) to stay with a host family (who is screened, trained, and supported) from a church community while they take care of themselves for a temporary period of time.

Safe Families for Children is a national movement of compassion, led by the church, giving hope to families. It equips Christians to work together to effectively care for families in their community, providing an extended network of support that helps stabilize and strengthen vulnerable families. There are many ways to participate, including: hosting a child in your home for a short period of time, encouraging a parent who is struggling, providing childcare for a host family, giving to the SFFC ministry, or purchasing tangible resources for a child or family such as food, clothing, or school supplies."

My awesome husband took the day off from work so I could attend the forum tomorrow morning. I get to be a greeter and help people sign in. I am excited to meet the people that are coming and to learn more about "Safe Families!" 

I just think it's so cool that this organization exists. It connects the church with people needing help right here in our own town that we would otherwise no nothing about! What an opportunity!!

I love all my kids: biological and adopted! Because I love my adopted children so much, it breaks my heart that they are dealing with the loss of their biological parents. It excites me to see efforts to keep families together! I don't know how I can help, but I can't wait to find out! 

"Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." ~Galatians 6:2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!