Tuesday, January 29, 2013

What Can I Do TODAY?


We've been home from Nicaragua for 2 weeks as of today! It feels like we just got home and it feels like we've been home a lot longer all at the same time! 

I've weeded through most if not all of the donations from various friends and family. The "maybe I'll keep for later pile or maybe I should pass it on" pile is piled in our sun room and out of my way so that the main house can look and feel "semi-normal". (Unfortunately my husband works in said "sun room" so it is not exactly out of HIS way be he is really being a great sport about it! We'll get there...)

We have a daily schedule that will work for the time being. 
~Breakfast 8 a.m
~High Schoolers start school
~My helping the girls with showers/hair until about 9:30 a.m. Everyone else showers before and after.
~Snack time after showers
~Helping High Schoolers with Math and making sure their schooling is running smoothly until noon.
~Lunch at 12:30 p.m.
~Homeschool younger children until about 2:30 p.m.
~Make sure High Schoolers completed all assignments
~Snack time at 3:00 p.m.
~Errands if necessary/House work
~Supper between 5:30 and 6:00 p.m.
Teens take care of dishes while I sit in a stupor! ;)
Movie for the littles
Bedtime for littles at 8:30 p.m.

I haven't started any "extra chores" with my sweet 4. They're learning to do the simple things like putting away dirty clothes then putting away their clean clothes, clearing their place at the table, putting away toys after playing, putting away coats and mittens after playing outside, etc... I remember how hard it was for me to remember where everything went when I first got to Nicaragua so I am giving them time to do the same! I know how overwhelmed I was and it's plenty for them right now. 

Last week I started homeschooling our sweet 4. I can describe it in one word: Overwhelming!! Wait, 2 words: Overwhelming and Frightening!! Wait, 3 words...no, never mind, you get the idea!! I've given up that whole "no problem, I've got this and it's going to be awesome" homeschool facade. No, I'm getting real here!! 

Remember when God confused languages at the Tower of Babel? He did a really.great.job.

Take letter sounds...Spanish and English share an alphabet but have different letter names and different sounds in many cases of the letters. So, the children must do some UNlearning!!

Then there is the typical:
"A long 'a' sound is 'a' as in 'acorn'." Oh! You don't know the English word "acorn?" BUMMER!!! 

Yeah, it's like that! 

In about 30 seconds I realized what a HUGE task homeschooling would be!! And I got nauseous...part from the size of the task and part from the size of my insecurity!!

Are you sure God? Are you sure you called ME to THIS?

"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." ~James 1:5

Cliff jumping part 2... ;)

The great thing about cliff jumping is that you never have to worry about forgetting to pray!! I need wisdom and big time help from God. 

"My son, if you accept my words
and store up my commands within you,turning your ear to wisdom
and applying your heart to understanding,
and if you call out for insight
and cry aloud for understanding,
and if you look for it as for silver
and search for it as for hidden treasure,
then you will understand the fear of the LORD
and find the knowledge of God.
For the LORD gives wisdom,
and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
He holds victory in store for the upright,
he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless,
for he guards the course of the just
and protects the way of his faithful ones.
Then you will understand what is right and just
and fair—every good path.
For wisdom will enter your heart,
and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.
Discretion will protect you,
and understanding will guard you."
~Proverbs 2:1-11

It's a lot. Life is BIG right now. Really I hope it always is. When I am overwhelmed, I try to think about what I can reasonably do TODAY. Then within today, I think about what I can do in THIS MOMENT to work toward TODAY. And I do the next thing, trying not to look days, or weeks, or months, or years down the road (which is my tendency and then I am a sinking mess). 

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." 
~Matthew 6:34


And there's a balance to be struck. There ARE *things* that need to get done: a house to be clean, school work to be ready, meals to be prepared. But in the midst there are *people with needs* that should not be ignored.

"If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing." ~1 Corinthians 13:2-3

So, here I am at my blog again. I'm airing out my heart and mind, seeking, finding, setting up memorial stones, and reminding myself of what is important... Thanks for joining me, thanks SO much for praying, thanks for not letting me do it alone. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!