Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Perfect Day to Stop

"The weather outside is frightful but the fire is so delightful..."  It's just nasty out. But it's not all bad. December 31rst is a great day to have lots of time to sit and think. What have I thought about, you ask? I've been thinking about my home, about what works and what doesn't.


We spent a good deal of time last year decluttering. But there's still more to do. Always more... It's no longer about what we don't want. It's about what we don't have room in our life for. That tends to be a tougher decision but I am so ready. 


I've got a hankering to give my pantry and closets a makeover. I want to:
~Take out everything and give them a pretty paint job...
~Figure out exactly what is stored in each locations...
~Measure and choose how each item will be stored...
~Add whatever organizational storage solutions that are needed...
~Bask in the joy of everything having a place, being organized, easy to find and easy to keep clean!
I can't wait!! I am way more excited than closets should cause me to be! But part of the pay-off for decluttering is easy organization!


Then, this year I want to restore my kitchen cabinets. I can't replace them or reface them. But I hope to give them a bright, clean look. What color? I have no idea! I'd like to add a nice backsplash behind the counter. Maaaaaybeee I'll get to replace the floor. We'll see. 


And paint the ceilings...all of them...


No thoughts of sequin dresses or jewelry or just the right shoes! haha! No, I am thinking a million thoughts of the New Year. A friend of mine and I were talking the other day. We both had decided to solve a problem around the house every day, at least one. 
For myself, I've let my back problems stop me too much. If I can only do a half an hour of painting I will. And over many days the job will get done. And I'll take the whole year just like that...and by the end I'll hopefully see alot get done that wouldn't have gotten done. 
Yes, there's more weighty and more important things to think about. I promise I'll think about those too. But, for today, I'm thinking about paint colors and organizational shelves and containers. I'm thinking about homekeeping and making this house work for me. I'm thinking about throwing off the weight of too much stuff. I'm thinking about plowing through...and it sounds like fun. ;)


"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:17

2 comments:

  1. All you have said is so true, I have many projects that I have been putting off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margery, I hope we both can get done all those projects!! Happy 2012! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!