Monday, June 20, 2011

Rhythm

As my kids get older, the need to drink in every moment with them becomes more and more vitally important to me and to us as a family. My husband and I know that once they are adults those times to connect will be a bigger challenge. Life will change (as it is supposed to). 


My priorities are creating memories and pouring our faith into them in every moment. So, balancing what needs to get done with what we want our life to look like is all part of achieving our overall goal. 


It sounds trite to think about menu plans and cleaning plans and yard upkeep. But it's all necessary, isn't it? And it's all part of teaching our kids how to balance their own lives someday. It's really all about intentional living whether it's ministry service, cleaning the house, or having a party. It's about keeping priorities as priorities without over thinking or becoming inflexible. 


I am thinking of taking two days per week where I don't purposely plan anything. It'll give us time for deep cleaning, organizing, cleaning up the yard and catching up with ourselves. On the other days it can be quick clean ups for an hour or so each morning. 


Today is one of those days. We'll tidy room by room, dust and clean floors, catch up with laundry, grocery shop. There's a meeting planned in the afternoon but I think I can get the stuff I need to get done around it. 


I know this...weekends are too precious to me to spend them catching up on the house and yard. So I'll intentionally take those days during the week to keep things caught up. The rest of the time will be devoted for enjoying our summer! :) 


"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens..." Ecclesiastes 3:1

2 comments:

  1. Dear Karen,

    I just love how you used this verse today...you are so right...great minds do think alike! Okay, so identify the beach for me...looks pretty sandy for our area up here so it must be south of here...maybe NH? We have some sandy beaches but there are still rocks tossed here and there along the way.

    I'm so with you on this...we have to be so careful that we do not "overschedule"...that we take the time to do the things we need to do to make life less stressful...especially for our husbands who work so hard. Great post!

    Sweet blessings to you and yours!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, It was Pine Point in Scarboro. There is one wall of rocks but didn't end up in the picture. :)Thanks for visiting! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!