Saturday, June 11, 2011

Doing What You Can

Here you can see my little work out area that I created yesterday. My dog has to be a part of everything and his favorite thing to do is watch people work! Back to my work out area (i.e. goal to exercise on the treadmill)...I set up some scrap flooring on the handles of my treadmill so it could hold my laptop. I can listen to the Bible online while I walk, thus meeting two goals at once (I am doing a "read the Bible in a year" program). Discovering I could do these together helps me get myself to get ON the treadmill. Of course, I get hot while I walk and walk and walk so I set up the fan to blow on me. :) It's a bit of pampered exercising! lol...


This week I have been frustrated with how much I've been able to get done (actually, more with what I haven't been able to get done). My back problems have flared up and life just gets in the way of my little *to-do list*. Have you ever noticed how this frustration can just totally shut you down? Sometimes I am tempted to think: "If I can't do it ALL, I'll do nothing." Silly, silly, silly!!! 


I remember doing a study in a Bible Study called, "Walk Across the Room" by Bill Hybels about sharing our faith. He said something in it that was life changing for me, "If everyone would focus on doing what they CAN do instead of what they CAN'T do, so much more would get done." So simple, right??


What this means is that I am choosing to do what I CAN do instead of getting frustrated over what I CAN'T do. Today I can't totally declutter all the school notebooks, but I could declutter and clean two shelves on the bookshelf. Yesterday, I didn't have time to bake for a gathering but I could pick up a dessert at the grocery store to share. I couldn't get everything ready for the next school year but I could put each semester's teachers manuals in separate notebooks. 


The amazing thing is that little by little and bit by bit it all gets done. When I get my focus off what I can't do and on what I can, over time a lot gets done. Even when I have to get off my feet for the sake of my back I can clean out my pocketbook, declutter notebooks, take care of ministry emailing, organize photos, call and encourage a friend. As I see the accomplishments, I am encouraged and energized.  :) The frustration lifts and hope returns. 


"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phil. 4:13



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!