Tuesday, April 19, 2011

One Last Book

As we graduate our first home schooled child (now young man) I will end how I began...reading a book aloud to my children. Yes, I still read to them. I have not read aloud as much to my oldest recently, but I still enjoy reading to them and have never completely stopped. I love sitting around the table or in the living room, sharing a good book together. I like to be the first to see and hear their reactions. 


I have pictures of my husband reading to each of my kids when they were infants. We've always read to our kids. My husband used to read to my kids before bed too. Often times they would slip downstairs and say to me, "Mom, dad fell asleep and he's snoring! Could you get him out of our room?" LOL!!  We learned not to have him read a book we wanted them to remember because as soon as the kids heard his voice in that sleepy hour they'd be OUT! 


My last official book read out loud will fittingly be a missionary story. I've read countless missionary stories to them over the years. I wanted people who had given up everything for Christ to take their rightful place among my kids' heroes. I hope I was successful. 


I've tried not to count "lasts" in my son's senior year. I am so not about "lasts" and no one knows what the future holds except that thankfully, we are all headed to Heaven to spend eternity together. But I can't help but mark this "last". Homeschooling has been such a big part of our life together; I really can't imagine life without it but I know God has plans for all of us.


This particular "last" missionary story really connects with what God is doing NOW in a great hot spot of our world and culture, that of the middle east. I pray God stirs our hearts as to how we can be a part of His work in the world, glorifying Him and bringing people into His Kingdom.


The last home school book shared together...but not the last time sharing and discussing God's work in the world, not the last time sharing what we're reading with each other, not the last time living and loving and learning together...that's what I'll try to focus on...not the end of our story...just the end of one chapter...


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!