Tuesday, April 12, 2011

From Homeschool to College

"I keep my eyes always on the LORD. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken."
Psalm 16:8

We've been walking a whole new path and if I am honest, I have to tell you that it's been scary at times. Although I have been assured and reassured by other homeschoolers walking this path, I guess I had to see for myself.  So with great trepidation and lots of prayer I watched as my first born son applied to college. With even more fear we prepared (and with much procrastination) his transcripts. 

Through the whole journey (so far, we're not done yet!), I've been encouraged. The colleges we looked at had friendly encouraging statements on their websites stating that homeschoolers are welcome and do very well at their schools. As we applied, I have found they treated us like any other student from a *real school.* No questions about why we would do such a thing, no inquiries about whether he ever attended a *real school* or had special testing. 

We sent in the transcript...and waited. At the bottom of it, I had put a little phrase *more information will be provided upon request.* I was pretty sure they'd want to know what curriculum we used, what extra testing we did.  ...Nothing... The colleges we have contacted so far have accepted our transcript *as is.* I didn't have a third party certify it or even prepare it. We prepared it ourselves on Google Docs.

I am so thankful for other homeschoolers who have gone before me and paved the way!! It seems colleges and universities are pretty accustomed to homeschoolers these days. Very cool... :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!