Monday, March 21, 2011

Trust...Contentment...Peace...Simplicity

I took this picture of my pup as my husband was giving his tummy a shave. He was just laying there, hanging out contentedly... You'd never know that he hates being groomed. But once he knows he has no choice, he seems to give in and enjoy the ride. 
LOL! 
You can learn a lot from a dog! 


He has simplicity of life that humans can't even imagine! When it's rainy he just sleeps all day. When it's sunny and warm he is just as happy outside as he is laying in a sunspot on the floor. When it snows he wants to run and jump in it. 


So much of contentment is just accepting what comes with a confidence that you can walk through it and come out to the other side of it. How is that possible? Only by trusting that God is in control and that he is the "Good Shepherd" who leads and guides with the goal of bringing you ultimately to "green pastures". 


Once you accept the situation you are in you can look around and find little pleasures and blessings and be thankful amidst trials. Are there not always trials of some kind?  At a certain point I have to ask myself: "Do I want to be miserable or do I want to trust God and be thankful?" 


It's a choice. Trust, contentment, peace, simplicity...it's all a choice. 


On a small scale, when it's snowing on the first full day of spring you can make your day miserable lamenting on how sick of snow you are or you can savor beauty of the last snows, knowing it'll melt quicker, the days will gradually stay warmer and trust that spring really will come.


On a larger scale, amidst great pain you can appreciate a kind word, a hug, a beautiful sunset, a warm bed.


It could always be worse...it could always be better. Someone else is worse off than you, someone else is better off than you.


It is at that crossroad that the words come to life: "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret to being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:11-13


The day is stretched out before you. What's it going to be? 



"Where Lieth Peace?"
by Amy Carmichael

He said, "I will forget the dying faces;
The empty places—
They shall be filled again;
O voices mourning deep within me, cease."
Vain, vain the word; vain, vain:
Not in forgetting lieth peace.
He said, "I will crowd action upon action,
The strife of faction
Shall stir my spirit to flame;
O tears that drown the fire of manhood, cease."
Vain, vain the word; vain, vain:
Not in endeavour lieth peace.
He said, "I will withdraw me and be quiet,
Why meddle in life's riot?
Shut be my door to pain.
Desire, thou dost befool me, thou shalt cease."
Vain, vain the word; vain, vain:
Not in aloofness lieth peace.
He said, "I will submit; I am defeated;
God hath depleted
My life of its rich gain.
O futile murmurings; why will ye not cease?"
Vain, vain the word; vain, vain:
Not in submission lieth peace.
He said, "I will accept the breaking sorrow
Which God to-morrow
Will to His son explain."
Then did the turmoil deep within him cease.
Not vain the word, not vain;
For in acceptance lieth peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!