Thursday, January 6, 2011

Thankful Thursday


This week I had listed things I am thankful for through the week in my journal to be ready to post them today. Little did I know that I would wake up with stomach flu. But despite the flu (which is lifting, praise the Lord), I have so much to be thankful for. I am going to number them and pick up where I left off each week. I am wondering how many things I can find to be thankful for in 2011!!

Here goes:
1. Time with friends learning a new fun game on Sunday.
2. A gift card from a friend that I can buy books with.
3. God sweeping through my church calling people to adoption. So exciting!
4. A new "Read through the Bible" plan to try (A plan for Shirkers and Slackers! LOL).
5. That returning to our normal school days means having moments of total silence during the day when everyone is working. It feels good to have a few moments to breathe and think!

Flu thankfulness:
6. I am thankful my husband can work from home and help me through the day when I am sick.

7. The kids did their schoolwork independently with no complaints.
8. That it's a 24 hour flu, not a 48 hour flu. :P
9. We already had saltines and ginger ale in the house.

I learned a powerful lesson on thankfulness when I lost 2 discs at once in my back. The pain was so intense, worse than anything I had ever experienced. One day my husband was helping me to the car so I could have an MRI. It was excruciating. On my way to the car which was pulled up to the front steps, I noticed my tall, white phlox had bloomed beside the door. It was extravagently beautiful!! I felt like it was put there just for me. It was as if the intensity of my pain brought into perfect focus the beauty of that flower. I have never forgotten that moment and I don't think I ever will.

Life can be very hard. There can be plenty of pain to go around. It is vital that we notice the blessing around us. To ignore them would be a dive into despair.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." Philippians 4:6-8

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely post, Karen. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!