Sunday, February 22, 2015

My Manna


I've been fascinated lately with the thought of Manna, that food that God literally dropped from the sky onto the ground to provide for His people. I've mulled over the fact that the people were not allowed to save up provision for the next day. God would send more the next day. That current day's provision was enough for that day only.

"So the people of Israel did as they were told. Some gathered a lot, some only a little.But when they measured it out,everyone had just enough. Those who gathered a lot had nothing left over, and those who gathered only a little had enough. Each family had just what it needed.
Then Moses told them, “Do not keep any of it until morning.” But some of them didn't listen and kept some of it until morning. But by then it was full of maggots and had a terrible smell. Moses was very angry with them." ~Exodus 16:17-20
My manna is energy. God gives me what I need for each day. And then it's gone. And I am done. I cannot not borrow tomorrow's energy for use today. 

"Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;great is your faithfulness.
I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him." ~Lamentations 3:22-24


Off to bed I go to do some reading and praying and then go to sleep. I read books from people living the same way I am...seeking to do God's will and build His Kingdom. I read people that are honest about their struggle, that don't always get it right, but who keep trying. I read people who inspire me to keep trying. I pray, begging God to make me into the woman He wants me to be. I am not unaware of my failings. But even these I have to lay in His hands. I pray for the desire and strength to do those things I am procrastinating. 

"Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always." ~1 Chronicles 16:11

I try to only work beyond the energy I've been given when I feel a specific conviction to do something I think God wants me to do right then. Earlier this week I had a failure in that area. I felt compelled to provide a meal and I was tired out and let myself just...not...  So I try again the next day to follow those "nudges" and not let *myself* get in the way. And this verse inspires me when I am so tired but there is more to do:

"Surely you remember, brothers and sisters, our toil and hardship; we worked night and day in order not to be a burden to anyone while we preached the gospel of God to you." ~1 Thessalonians 2:9

I remember missionary Amy Carmichael's words that there is always enough time to do the will of God, that God only has one thing for us to do in each moment. And I remember as I lay my head down on the pillow, exhausted and depleted and feeling like I can't do one more thing, that God's mercies are new every morning, that I don't have to do "tomorrow's work today." I can sleep knowing that a new day is ahead, with my manna for the day waiting for me when I awaken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!