Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Back Under His Wings


There is a lesson God has been teaching me over the past several years. It is this: everything I go through is between God and I. Problems or joys with other people are between God and I, when I suffer lack or plenty it is between God and I, days I struggle and days I succeed are between God and I. 

Why is this? When I am in conflict with another person, for example,  I have two choices. First choice: I can choose to sin in my response to them.

"Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight; so you are right in your verdict and justified when you judge." ~Psalm 51:4

When I do not respond the way God would desire, I sin against Him. It is ultimately between God and I.

Second choice: I can glorify God in my response.

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31

When I respond in the way God directs in the Bible I bring glory to Him. As a Christ follower I bear His Name. 

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:17

What a difference to my day if I can keep it in this proper perspective. Peace reigns and I stay so much calmer. 

Some times I have read my Bible and prayed over my day and then I have a horrible day. I am responding terribly, I am impatient and grouchy, I feel desperate for relief, I have no peace. I think, "What in the world is going on? I met with God today and it didn't do a BIT of good!!!" 

I have gone THROUGH the MOTIONS of putting my day up under God but I am no longer living as though it is between Him and I. I have not entrusted Him truly with my day. I am taking every affront personally, I am not trusting God to order my day, I am not trusting Him for provision. It is me against the world all over again. 

And need I even SAY how much WORSE it is if I haven't met with God to start my day?? 

This is really very fresh in my mind because the past couple of weeks have been very difficult. I am a blessed person living in "Camp First World". But when days are too busy, and I feel sick, and homeschooling 6 is extra challenging, I can easy starting straining through life on my own again, me against the world. I come out from under my Heavenly Father's wings. "They that wait upon the Lord renew their strength." They that don't wait? They're not very strong! I trade God's peace and provision for frustration and anger. 

Coming out of that FUNK is honestly not as easy as it should be. But in sharing with friends and asking for prayer, the Holy Spirit does His effective work in my heart. He brings me to the end of myself and reminds me why I am there and applies His Word to my heart to turn me around and bring me back to where I need to be. 

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart." ~Psalm 91:4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!