Monday, March 4, 2013

Gettin' Back There


When we were in Nicaragua, life was very slow. There were hard parts to be sure, really hard parts. But I had developed this schedule that I am now missing. Last week I was telling my husband that I was feeling like I needed a second time of prayer and Bible reading and worship in the afternoon to make it through a WHOLE day at peace. Then I realized...I HAD that in Nicaragua.

My days in Nica started really early. I would wake up between 3 and 4 a.m., often feeling anxious and needing peace. I would get out of bed and go for my Bible and for worship songs on YouTube. I would spend 1-2 hours of quiet with time to read and pray and listen to worship songs. I'd read encouraging blogs and message a friend or two. 

We'd do our day and things would be really busy with meal prep and getting the kids ready and homeschooling and whatever else was involved in our day. Then, most days after lunch, there would be a lull at about 1:30 or 2:00 p.m. and I would spend about an hour on the patio. I'd read my Bible or a Christian living type book on my Kindle app. for about an hour or so. After that, I'd wash the dishes while listening to music and then be ready to face the rest of the day. 

Once the younger children were put to bed, I was exhausted from getting up so early and I'd go to bed, read for a few minutes and then drift off to sleep. During that time, I usually read a Christian living book or Christian fiction.

It's no wonder I am feeling something missing since now I am trying to live my day with just one dedicated time with God in the morning. American life is far from slow. I think you have to be creative and steal the moments. I've tucked my IPOD Touch in my pocket to pull out when I have some time to read my Bible or a good Christian book on my Kindle App. I'm going to try to sneak away for 20 or so minutes in the afternoon to quiet my mind and pray. 

Somehow I am going to get back that time with God that I am missing...before I forget how good that *peace* (even amidst the storm) felt! 

"I rise before dawn and cry for help;
I have put my hope in your word.
My eyes stay open through the watches of the night,
that I may meditate on your promises." ~Psalm 119:147-148

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!