Monday, December 5, 2011

December Joys



I am finding joy in December with great determination, deep breaths and a hot cuppa coffee. It's always a *choice*. At any moment on any given day, on Christmas or the 4th of July, it's a choice. I can get caught up doing things for the sake of doing things (random busyness) without setting healthy boundaries, I can reflect the stress and anxiety of those around me, I can believe the gloom and doom covered in the media, OR I can make another choice.


You know the saying, "Where ever you are, be all there?" I interpret that as, "take moments one at a time." My stress usually comes from thinking too far ahead. I pile everything that needs to be done both now and in the future all up into one thought and it overwhelms me.


This December, rather than join the flurry and scurry, I am slowing down! I am taking the holidays one step at a time, one day, one moment, on nanosecond. When it comes to being harried, *IT* stops when *I* stop. 


This past weekend was really very sweet. On Saturday we celebrated our middle child's 15th birthday. Where has the time gone? They grow up so fast...each day with my kids is a day to be treasured, soaked in, and hopefully lived in slow motion! There's no second chance, savor them now...
We enjoyed our favorite family restaurant, missing our college son (that cutie at the bottom of the pile in the pic), yet enjoying our time. I got a few minutes to also browse in a craft store for some homemade gifts. We came home for cake and presents and a quiet evening at home.


Sunday was church and our birthday boy brought a friend home. I love hearing my kids with their friends, chatting and enjoying being together. Last night was a Christmas program at church. Our special treat was a song from the younger children. I know I was not alone in wishing they would just keep singing...and singing...


One moment at a time, step by step, the Christmas season is one to be enjoyed and also savored. Soon it will pass by with either great relief or memories to be cherished. I am choosing cherished memories. 


"This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!