Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Youth Ministry

The Christian Life can be complicated. We in the body of Christ are not all the same and we hold many different convictions. Sometimes they can separate us unnecessarily. When I was a kid it seemed simpler. Maybe it was the church I belonged to and I was just unaware of the controversies of the Church at Large?? Perhaps it was just that I was a child and blissfully ignorant. (*wink*)


Youth Ministry is certainly in the *controversial category*. My husband is over the Youth Ministry in our church and working together with some 14 other youth leaders to minister to our teens. Before helping with Youth Ministry, I was ministering in Children's Ministry. 


I am well aware that there is an entire movement that believes there should be NO Youth Ministry in churches. I also understand that there are parents who would never choose to allow their kids to attend. I would never try to convince a parent to let their kids come. I might *invite and include*, but I have no problem taking *no* for an answer. :) 


But I am glad God has led us to work with Youth. I love them. I love the age. I think it's an important ministry. 


I believe God wants everyone to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ, even teenagers. I believe that includes teenagers not in Christian families. I want them to know so they can decide to follow Christ...or not...


I also desire to teach teens God's Word and to train them for ministry. I believe it is the ministry of the church to train Christians for works of service. I believe teens can be included in God's work. How valuable if reaching the world for Christ feels like something you've always done!


I desire to come alongside of Christian parents and help them teach and equip their kids. I don't need to or want to usurp their authority. I just want to help. If they don't need help, that's okay too.


"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matt. 28:19-20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!