Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Scripture Memory Goal


"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See I am doing a new thing! Not it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland." Isa. 43:18-19
I am in the process of thinking and praying over my goals for 2011. I love fresh starts and I can't resist any of them: a new year, a new week, a new day! Sylvia from Christian Homekeeper has written a great article on this called "Making Resolutions vs. Goal Setting" and you can read it here: http://www.christianhomekeeper.org/ . (I'd give you the full address but my copy/paste has gone awry!).
My first goal for 2011 will be to memorize 24 Bible Verses. I am joining Beth Moore's Scripture Memory team. If you're interested you can find the instructions on her blog at: http://blog.lproof.org/ . I will be posting the passages I pick here as well as on her blog. Anyone is more than welcome to join me here. Posting your verse in the comments will give you one more spot to practice!! Plus, I would love the encouragement of knowing others are memorizing too! I'll be choosing a verse on the 1rst and 15th of each month. In order to learn the verses I'll be copying them multiple times, speaking them outloud, setting them to a familiar tune and asking my family to quiz me. I need every memory trick known!! ;)
At this point I think I am going to be choosing verses that speak to God's control and leading in the believer's life. I am literally begging God to speak big-time into my life. I need to know that I know that He is leading me and that I am doing what He wants me to do and not missing anything. I am often plagued with the fear/doubt: "Am I missing anything? Is this it?" I don't want to stand before Him and hear: "Wow, I had so much for you...but you missed it."
If you are setting a goal to memorize Scripture or setting goals for 2011 in general I would love to hear about it! If you've blogged about it, give me your link. I'd love to check it out!!

2 comments:

  1. I think I want to do this too. Maybe tonight I need to sit down and pick out some verses. I may even splurge on the siesta flip-book thingy to have them with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie, Yes, I was thinking of getting a flip-book thingy too. Right now their on back order!! Let me know if you successfully order one! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. :) It's just like opening the mailbox and seeing mail from a friend!